« Clapotis | Main | Jitterbug socks »



This is going to be for the Harlot event at Webs tomorrow. I used a pattern from Knitty with Cascade 220 superwash. I figured superwash would be a better idea than something that needs handwashing for this purpose. Besides, it's Cascade which is such a wonderful wool!

I did have an issue with the pattern. Said issue is entirely mine and no fault of the designer! I'm just a doofus sometimes!

What I was supposed to do was knit the cabled band, and then knit the hat part, and then the band flips up so the part of the hat that goes across your forehead ends up with two layers. I did not notice this part of the instructions (again, my fault, no one else's) So I'm going along knitting the hat, stopping to measure it until I get the right length so I can start the decreases. I kept thinking, "This seems much too tall. Oh well, I'll trust the pattern, I know heads are always bigger than you think they are."

Do the decrease rows, bind off, I even wove in my ends! I hate weaving in ends!

And then I tried it on.

There's a good two inches of extra hat there!

This is when I went back and re-read the pattern and discovered what I had done. Of course if I flip the cabled part up, then it's the right size. But if I do that the thing will have the purl side out instead of the stockinette side.

I knew it was going to bug me, so I figured out where I should have started the decreases, unpicked my ends, and frogged back. It is now the correct size! The band doesn't flip up like the original, but it's a perfectly good hat regardless! And it will fit someone who is a human, as opposed to a conehead!

I mostly knit things like socks or if it is a larger project it's usually a small yarn/needles project. Heck, it's what I like so it's what I knit! But when I do knit something like this that is larger yarn/needles it always surprises me how fast it goes! (I know, I'm easily amused)


The Stats...
Needles: 8 (5mm)
Yarn: Cascade 220 superwash - color 855
Pattern: Coronet from Knitty
Sizing: did the small size, but knit until about 6" instead of the 8.5" before the decreases because of my afformentioned pattern issue
SPI: 4
Started: 5-26-2007
Finished: 5-28-2007


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)


This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on May 29, 2007 1:43 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Clapotis.

The next post in this blog is Jitterbug socks.

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.