This shawl was created because I needed something to fill the role of a light spring/fall jacket. Plus, I really like cables and the shape I chose for this let me use all kinds of 'em!
I started working on the design before I chose the yarn. My original intention was to use something in a sport weight, and I designed it with that gauge in mind. But when it came time to buy yarn I ended up falling in love with a fingering weight yarn which turned out to be a light fingering when it arrived. So a number of rows had to be added to the bottom to make it as long as I wanted.
The sides easily cover my wrists, and the two front points hang down almost to my knees. It's supposed to replace a jacket so I wanted it to be large. That also means that it is a LOT of fabric with skinny yarn on tiny needles. It was quite a bit of work.
However, it is wonderful and I love it. It's warm and cozy and does exactly what I wanted.
I worked on this for multiple hours a day for three months. I ended up calling it my "Shawl of Insanity" when I was talking to people about it simply because it was such a huge project.
I do fully intend to make the pattern available. It's just taking me longer than I thought it would to get it written up. The "make it understandable by people that aren't me" part of pattern writing is something that takes quite a bit of time. I am getting close to finished with it, it's just slow going.
Needles: 2's (2.75mm)
Yarn: Lisa Souza Fingering - Elektra
Pattern: my own (designed the three weeks before start date)