Main

Hats Archives

May 10, 2006

It's a Hat!

HarryPotterHat.jpg

OK, it's actually a really bad picture of a hat, but you get the idea.

I used this pattern along with some leftover yarn from the Harry Potter scarf I made for Keva a couple years ago. I followed the pattern with the one exception that I used #6 needles instead of the #9's that the pattern called for. They were the biggest needles I had on hand that didn't have something else on them. Oh, it also said to hold two strands together throughout, I didn't do that. I just did one strand.

The end result is really a quite fun hat! I think I might make another one at some point, but on bigger needles 'cuz on #6's it's a little big tight on my head. Of course I have a massive head so that might have something to do with it too.

I lost the lables for the yarn a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure it was Red Heart Super Saver. I'm not a fan! It's very scratchy and rough and I just don't like it. So next time, bigger needles, softer yarn. Because I really do like the hat, it's a fun design! And very quick, I knit this bugger up in just a couple days (an hour or two each day I think) Plus, I now know how to do short rows! Yay!

May 29, 2007

Coronet

Coronet.jpg

This is going to be for the Harlot event at Webs tomorrow. I used a pattern from Knitty with Cascade 220 superwash. I figured superwash would be a better idea than something that needs handwashing for this purpose. Besides, it's Cascade which is such a wonderful wool!

I did have an issue with the pattern. Said issue is entirely mine and no fault of the designer! I'm just a doofus sometimes!

What I was supposed to do was knit the cabled band, and then knit the hat part, and then the band flips up so the part of the hat that goes across your forehead ends up with two layers. I did not notice this part of the instructions (again, my fault, no one else's) So I'm going along knitting the hat, stopping to measure it until I get the right length so I can start the decreases. I kept thinking, "This seems much too tall. Oh well, I'll trust the pattern, I know heads are always bigger than you think they are."

Do the decrease rows, bind off, I even wove in my ends! I hate weaving in ends!

And then I tried it on.

There's a good two inches of extra hat there!

This is when I went back and re-read the pattern and discovered what I had done. Of course if I flip the cabled part up, then it's the right size. But if I do that the thing will have the purl side out instead of the stockinette side.

I knew it was going to bug me, so I figured out where I should have started the decreases, unpicked my ends, and frogged back. It is now the correct size! The band doesn't flip up like the original, but it's a perfectly good hat regardless! And it will fit someone who is a human, as opposed to a conehead!

I mostly knit things like socks or if it is a larger project it's usually a small yarn/needles project. Heck, it's what I like so it's what I knit! But when I do knit something like this that is larger yarn/needles it always surprises me how fast it goes! (I know, I'm easily amused)

CoronetCU.jpg

The Stats...
Needles: 8 (5mm)
Yarn: Cascade 220 superwash - color 855
Pattern: Coronet from Knitty
Sizing: did the small size, but knit until about 6" instead of the 8.5" before the decreases because of my afformentioned pattern issue
SPI: 4
Started: 5-26-2007
Finished: 5-28-2007

November 21, 2008

Bamboozled Headband

Bamboozled.jpg

BamboozledCU.jpg

So I started walking recently and discovered a need for something to cover my ears. Hats don't work since I have a large amount of hair that's usually up in a ponytail. Therefore I needed a headband.

It works really well, the only issue I have is that tying the ties without getting my hair all caught in them is a bit difficult. Once I got the thing tied once I just left it tied, much easier to deal with it already tied than trying to tie it every single time. It's also slightly on the light side, I'm making another one of my own devising that'll be thicker for colder weather.

The Stats...
Needles: 6's (4mm)
Yarn: Rowan Felted Tweed - colorway 148 (slightly less than half the ball)
Pattern: Bamboozled
Sizing: followed pattern
SPI: 6
Started: 11-20-2008
Finished: 11-21-2008

About Hats

This page contains an archive of all entries posted to Sunidesus Knits in the Hats category. They are listed from oldest to newest.

Gloves is the previous category.

Miscellaneous is the next category.

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.